• Welcome to The Campaign Builder's Guild.

Neo-Terra: Racial Ideas (WIP)

Started by LoA, August 24, 2017, 03:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoA

The humans that began migrating over into Neo-Terra during the World Wars found themselves in a familiar yet alien world. They were shocked to discover hominid species, and so far no one knows exactly how early humans came into this world. It shouldn't be possible to bend the universe and tear holes into other dimensions through natural means.

The humans that have evolved in this world come in enough variety that it became necessary to use new species classifications.

Homo Sapian Neo: Humans exist in this world, and they share enough genetic similarity that while scientists have classified themselves seperately, it's mainly as a way to keep Neo-Terrans from being lumped into the same assumptions that would come with Earthlings.

Homo Nani: Dwarves were bred by dragons to become miners in order to more efficiently mine out resources, primarily gold and fine metals. However when the prehistoric Dragon Civilization fell, the dwarves were left to their own devices. The primary dwarven civilization has a distinct culture of medieval industrialism. Dwarves own all of the major Iron and fine metal distribution on the continent. They seem to be trying to develop healthy relations with the Earthling colonies. Obviously as a means to get their hands on technological assets, but could also have other more insidious undertones.

Homo Acutis Auris: Elves in contrast to dwarves were bred for mystical purposes. Mainly to keep the other hominid races in check on behalf of the dragons. Elves have evolved a keen sense of entitlement, but they are very intelligent. and most importantly have much longer life spans. Reproduction is much slower though so their populations are always too low to maintain a large civilization.

Homo Acutis Auris Arbor (Lignum/Tenebris):Fae Trees are sentient trees with the supernatural ability to warp their environments around them and enduce local fauna into serving it's purposes. While this could be seen as a parasitic relationship, there are benefits for the fauna that find themselves under the influence of the trees. Two groups of Elves have evolved around influences of Fae Trees.

The first group are Woodland Elves, who act as warrior guardians for the trees. They are given more free will over themselves than other creatures, but they

grovelwine

I like this idea -- does any technology come over with the world war era humans, or just rudimentary knowledge of it? How many people/different kinds?

Reminds me a little bit of Conan Doyle's Lost World's "researchers and explorers making sense of a small fantastic pocket of the world", except that they are that pocket. Very interesting. Would the setting thematically orbit around the Earthlings, or would they be more of a conduit for explaining/exploring the more traditional fantasy elements?

LoA

Quote from: grovelwine
I like this idea -- does any technology come over with the world war era humans, or just rudimentary knowledge of it? How many people/different kinds?

Reminds me a little bit of Conan Doyle's Lost World's "researchers and explorers making sense of a small fantastic pocket of the world", except that they are that pocket. Very interesting. Would the setting thematically orbit around the Earthlings, or would they be more of a conduit for explaining/exploring the more traditional fantasy elements?

Sorry, I've been meaning to update. The basic premise of this setting is that the Nuclear Bomb is never invented, rather, during WW2 a freak accident occurs where space/time is bent, and holes into other dimensions is discovered. But because there's no deterant to keep Russia and America from going to war, it causes several conflicts that amalgamate into World Wars. Russia is slowly but surely winning, so the US government decides to begin interdimensional colonization of a world they deemed "Neo-Terra". Several people from all over the world began building technologically advanced cities around a cluster in this new world. Eventually doomsday occurs and The colonialists are seperated from Earth for what seems to be permanancy. It just so happens that this world they colonized is a fantastical realm with dragons, dwarves, elves, etc. I was inspired by Raygun Gothic, and the Earthling cities have a dieselpunk/Atompunk aesthetic and culture to them.

grovelwine

Oh, very cool, thanks. I do like the take on elves and dwarves as having been bred for different roles, elves being basically engineered as administrative overseers puts their haughty attitude (that I assume is present here as well) in an interesting light in that it's a nobility they gained only from past servitude. And dwarves in contrast almost seem more noble because I imagine they were more salt-of-the-earth, genuine "servantlike" servants of the dragons. I like this as an origins for elf and dwarf animosity.

Gilladian

This is cool! Are you going to create other races? Halfling gardeners? With a magical  power over plants? They and the Tree Fae might hate each other, or be allies. Or sometimes one/ the other.
Librarian, Dungeonmaster, and Cat-person